Bionow, the Northwest Regional Development Agency’s (NWDA) biomedical cluster support group, have announced their annual Northwest Biomedical Awards.
The event attended by 270 guests is a showcase of the very best of biomedicine in the region. The prestigious awards ceremony was hosted by Dr John Stageman, NWDA Board Member and Member of the North West Science Council, and Dr Geoff Davison, Sector Head for Biomedical for the NWDA and Director of Bionow.
The winners were as follows:
- Northwest Company of the Year – Epistem Plc
- Innovation in Diagnostics Project of the Year – Prokyma Technologies Ltd, KymaSep – rapid automated concentration and purification system
- Promising Biomedical Technologist – Jane King-Haughey, Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics
- Startup of the Year – BioOxyDyn Ltd
- Biomedical Project of the Year – Eden Biodesign, REIC – Prostate Cancer
- Emerging Technology Project of the Year – University of Liverpool, Control of Stem Cells using Patterned Substrates
- Healthcare Project of the Year – Femestim, Professor Jackie Oldham, Manchester University
Innovation in Diagnostics Project of the Year – Prokyma Technologies Ltd, KymaSep – Novel TB Diagnosis Tool
In this recently added category to the Biomedical awards, the judges commented on a very strong field which is testament to the innovation in diagnostics which is going on in the region. Prokyma’s innovation in the application of a unique separation technique to the perennial problem of isolating the component of interest from a massive amount of background debris and sample has the potential to be applied to many disease areas and trace component detection techniques. Innovations such as this will be necessary if we are to realise the true potential of in vitro diagnostics and bring these nearer to the point of care.
Dr Geoff Davison, Sector Head for Biomedical for the NWDA and Director of Bionow, said:
“The Northwest Biomedical Awards, which are now in their 9th year, recognise and reward excellence within the biomedical sector. The Northwest is home to significant expertise in this important sector, and the winners and those who are runners up, are testament to the excellent work being done in this fascinating growth industry here in the Northwest.”
- Bionow: Website